Thursday, May 24, 2007

Slide-to-Video Software so far

Here is the Macintosh software that I have tried so far, and the issue with each one:
  • GarageBand's Podcast track -- works well, if you export PowerPoint to individual JPEGS (changing format to square image), import them one-by-one onto the Podcast track. The quality of video is marginal.
  • iMovie -- works very well, but not efficient -- you also have to export PowerPoint to individual JPEGS, and then adjust length of each slide to match audio on timeline.
  • PowerPoint's export to video -- which does not synchronize audio with slides unless you embed individual audio clips on each slide... then it works very well, but not very efficient. And the files are huge
  • Keynote's export to QuickTime -- same issue as PowerPoint (embed audio in each slide), but much slower process and QuickTime clip doesn't have controller at the bottom (not sure if there is a setting I am missing)
  • ProfCast -- which only allows live recording ($30) which might work for some, but I like to edit my iPod recordings before adding the slides.
  • LecShare Pro -- which is the most promising so far, but slow and quirky - it works with PowerPoint, saves its coding into the PowerPoint file or the audio file. That tool also lets you convert these slide shows to accessible HTML and uses both pre-recorded audio or lets you record directly in the program for each slide.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Did you try some Windows software of converting PowerPoint to video and burning to DVD.
I'll be appreciate if you give me some advice.

eportfolios said...

I work on Mac OS X, I'm an Apple Distinguished Educator, and I don't have time to explore the Windows platform at this time (maybe when I get my new MacBook Pro with the Intel Core2 Duo processor this summer. I am specifically looking for Macintosh software. A simple Google search should provide a long list of Windows software.

Mike said...

Slideshare apparently has a new audio sync feature. Saw Leigh Blackall raving about it here.


... although maybe the audio on that is not the best example. Haven't tried it myself yet.