Monday, March 12, 2012

My Philosophy of ePortfolio Development

As I work with others on the implementation of ePortfolio Development, I need to articulate my own philosophy. My doctorate is in Human Development (not computer science), so my philosophy comes from the perspective of using e-portfolios in the context of learning and individual lifelong development. Some people see ePortfolios through the lens of ICT and the underlying technologies; I see ePortfolios through the lens of human development potential in an era of social media. 

I believe:
  • ePortfolio development activities can be found across the lifespan
  • ePortfolio development can be an important element of a Personal Learning Environment (PLE) and Network (PLN)
  • ePortfolio development and social networking have many similarities
  • ePortfolio development is a balance between process and product 
  • ePortfolios can be created for many different purposes 
  • ePortfolios can be created with many different tools
  • ePortfolio development should be integrated into everyday activities
  • ePortfolio development supports a process of Reflection and Metacognition that is essential to lifelong learning

I elaborated in a longer GoogleDoc Document with supporting links to some of my work.

No comments: