Thursday, November 02, 2006

Online Course

Next week, I was asked to facilitate a one-week online class which I am calling Interactive Electronic Portfolios. I have been learning to use Moodle as the course management environment. I know, I'm pretty late trying this tool, since I was an early user of Blackboard at UAA in 1999. I just have not had access to a server or a reason to use it until now. It also helps to have an experienced guide as I explore the different tools.

I got so inspired that I bought new webserver space for two years to host the three URLs that I've owned for three years but have not used so far: electronicportfolios.info, electronicportfolios.net and electronicportfolios.us. The hosting service provided automatic installation of Moodle, WordPress, MediaWiki and Joomla, a content management system. This website is going to be a Dreamweaver-free site. I want to see what I can do with some of these open source tools on my own server space, without using any HTML authoring tools.

1 comment:

Rebecca Fiedler said...

My husband and I have had a lot of fun with Moodle. He uses it for his classes. We've set it up on a Mac mini in the house, too. We've taken the Mac Mini to a couple of hands-on tutorials at conferences. Imagine the convenience of a a course management system and a wireless access point in one small device that practically fits in my purse! Everything's on the Moodle server - files, handouts, discussions if needed, and even wiki space for collaborative activities. It's a wonderful solution at any time and especially wonderful when the facilty doesn't have Internet access.