Thursday, June 03, 2004

Digital Storytelling Association

I just joined the Digital Storytelling Association. I was asked to describe my work and interest in Digital Storytelling. Here is what I wrote:
I have been researching and training on the development of electronic portfolios in education. We need to find strategies for portfolio development and reflection that are engaging for students. Too often, the portfolio and reflection become just another assignment that the students are not invested in. We need to find strategies that motivate learners intrinsically. Digital storytelling is one of them.

I believe there is a natural affinity between electronic portfolio development and digital storytelling. I am in the process of adding an article to my website entitled, "Electronic Portfolios as Digital Stories of Deep Learning" that focuses on emerging digital tools to support reflection in learner-centered portfolios

I am also interested in the literature on storytelling and reflection as a tool to support lifelong professional development (Schön, 1988). My most recent workshops on electronic portfolios have included a component on digital storytelling. The response has been very exciting. I’ve also piloted a two-day workshop on digital storytelling using iMovie, and the results have far exceeded my expectations.

After I retire, I want to begin providing training to "baby boomers" and senior citizens on using digital storytelling to preserve their stories for future generations. The current popularity of scrapbooking and genealogy all indicate that there is an interest to preserve these memories. But those who study genealogy know that we can find the dates and facts about a life, but stories that are not preserved are lost forever. Digital storytelling is one way to share our legacy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am looking for training in digital storytelling, and am unable to find it in Michigan except in college classes that offer college credits, or training offered in the western states. I am a senior citizen, and have lots to tell and lots of desire to teach others.

I am, however, from Michigan, and would like to find courses that teach me how to do this! I don't need college credit--I need training so that I can get started!

Anonymous said...

I am looking for training in digital storytelling, and am unable to find it in Michigan except in college classes that offer college credits, or training offered in the western states. I am a senior citizen, and have lots to tell and lots of desire to teach others.

I am, however, from Michigan, and would like to find courses that teach me how to do this! I don't need college credit--I need training so that I can get started!

eportfolios said...

Try the Association of Personal Historians conference in Grand Rapids in early November 2005.