Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Keynote in Spain and Motivation

After an exhausting trip from Istanbul, we arrived in Santiago de Compostela (Spain) last night. Just finished keynote address at ePortfolio conference for a national group working on ePortfolios in Spain. Great translation in the morning... none in the afternoon. My Spanish (from a short course over a year ago) isn't up to listening to presentations, but enjoying conversations during breaks and formal dinner. I hope that I can get their publications in digital format, so that I can read translated versions, because many of the ideas expressed in the meeting were very exciting. Some mentioned their use of social networking strategies; others recognized that faculty need to change their teaching and assessment strategies for ePortfolios to best support student learning. I was on a panel where a student teacher talked with great enthusiasm about her ePortfolio... I just wish I had her remarks in English to study further.

The wonders of the Internet! At dinner, one of the participants came up to me and said he didn't speak English, but he followed my blog through RSS (and translated it)! That's motivation (for me to continue writing this blog... and not spend as much time on Twitter)! Speaking of Motivation, I just watched Dan Pink's TED speech and found out about his new book, Drive (about Motivation in business). From his website:
The secret to high performance and satisfaction—at work, at school, and at home—is the deeply human need to direct our own lives, to learn and create new things, and to do better by ourselves and our world.
How do these principles of Autonomy, Mastery, and Purpose, as he discusses in relationship to motivation in business, apply to EDUCATION? Could the appropriate development of an ePortfolio be part of that process? Could an ePortfolio process be developed using these principles? Anxious for the book to come out in January, to see if there are some applications of his analysis to my field. I have gained so much from A Whole New Mind, his book about "the six essential [right-brained] aptitudes on which professional success and personal fulfillment now depend" (Design, Story, Symphony, Empathy, Play, Purpose).

2 comments:

Adriana said...

Hi Helen, thank you very much for your words. We thank you again for your presence here. We will send the presentations and texts in this week so you can read in peace. We also will edit a portfolio of the wordshop to climb in the website of the state network of e-portfolio (http://www.redportfolio.org) and let you know when it is ready. There you can also find the video of your great conference.
greetings from Santiago de Compostela (Spain)
Adriana Gewerc (coordinator of the workshop)

Nate said...

As a future educator, I am new to E-Portfolios but love them already. I can definitely see the power they can have in the classroom for the student as well as the development of a teacher. I want to thank you for sharing your wonderful slideshare that taught me a great amount of information. The progress and motivation that the student can see for themselves through an E-Portfolio is benefit enough for me to implement them.